Advanced Retail Analytics
DynamicAction is a pioneering omnichannel software-as-a-service company with headquarters in Redwood City, CA and offices in Dallas, TX, London, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria. The award-winning solution serves global brands and large retailers to deliver accelerated performance by collapsing the time to move from big data to prioritized actions. DynamicAction was awarded the 2017 NRF/Shop.org Digital Retail Startup of the year.
WHY JOIN DYNAMICACTION?
You’ll be working with some of the smartest engineers, retail experts and data scientists on the planet. We are perfectionists and creators, dreamers and analytical minds. DynamicAction offers an environment that embraces creativity and making a difference. You won’t find unneeded bureaucracy here, but you will find free soft drinks, snacks and a chance to have a big impact on the company and our Clients. We are moving fast. Join us to make a big impact in this big data world.
The Database Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining secure, robust and efficient interfaces for loading data into, and requesting data from, cloud-based databases. This role is responsible for insuring that the appropriate database platforms and designs are selected based on the types of data being stored and the types of requests being serviced. This role works closely with the larger development team to ensure that data driven application requirements are formulated in a manner that conforms to the strengths of our underlying database technologies.
- Design, develop and maintain data access and update interfaces across a variety of database platforms
- Evaluate database architectures to identify the appropriate database platform for data requirements
- Coordinate database design with data access interface design to ensure that all data requests are serviced efficiently, while also allowing for efficient loading of new data and rolling off of old data
- Work closely with the product and design teams to ensure that application data requirements are formulated in a manner that allows them to be serviced efficiently
- Triage database performance issues – use monitoring tools to identify bottlenecks and leverage knowledge of database performance concepts to resolve
- Triage data issues – identify root source of problem data and implement measures to correct and prevent
- Build and execute performance test plans against data access interfaces and databases to ensure they are efficient and scalable
- Develop and execute data migration procedures for moving data between database platforms without service disruption
- Ensure instrumentation of all data access interfaces. Work with DevOps to ensure that all interfaces and databases are able to be monitored, and alert under stress.
- 5+ years working as a database engineer or similar role
- 3+ years developing database-centric SaaS applications
- Strong SQL expertise: analytic functions, CTEs, transactions, complex queries
- Extensive knowledge of database architectures and their trade-offs: column-stores, MPP, IMDB, NoSQL
- Strong familiarity with database performance concepts: partitioning, indexes, join methodologies, explain plans, isolation levels
- Significant experience with Mongo, or another NoSQL variant
- Experience with JIRA and a proven ability to work in an Agile environment
- Experience with any of the following a plus:
- ETL development experience, particularly Talend
- Building applications for, and deploying applications in, the AWS environment
- Managing databases in the AWS environment, particularly Redshift
- Desire to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Strong communicator, written and verbal essential
Bachelor’s degree or greater, preferably in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Information Systems